Reply
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: Member
Posts: 34



Default wrong with my laptop and do i have to get it fixed

I dropped my laptop, it's a dell and now when I turn it on it beeps four short times and then one longer grinding one. I get a black screen with a bunch of coding and then this screen. Can you tell me what's wrong and if I can fix it myself? Thanks so much.

AlanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Status: Senior Member
Posts: 719



Default wrong with my laptop and do i have to get it fixed

The shock sustained from the drop has caused some damage on your notebook's motherboard, and now you will need to replace it with an equivalent one with the same interface as the one on your current one.

Your beeps are fault codes that usually come on at POST.


SATA, IDE, PATA.
Money07 is offline   Reply With Quote
more..
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Status: Senior Member
Posts: 756



Default wrong with my laptop and do i have to get it fixed

You dropped it, you broke it, plain and simple. Looks like the hard drive took a big shock, and failed itself. There may be other components that are damaged as well...
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
Status: Senior Member
Posts: 653



Default wrong with my laptop and do i have to get it fixed

Post complete model number and operating system as well as brand when asking for help.
Do you have or did you create the operating system recovery disc or DVD for the Dell laptop ?
Dropping a laptop usually damages the internal disc of the hard drive that the operating system, all programs and files are written on. The fix is to install a new hard drive then use the operating system recovery disc set or DVD made for the laptop and install the original Windows operating system onto the new hard drive. This puts the OS back to factory but all your files on the old hard drive are gone forever unless you have kept them backed up to external media.
Bassman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Status: Member
Posts: 74



Default wrong with my laptop and do i have to get it fixed

You broke it. It might be repairable. Or it might be time for a new laptop.

There are several possibilities.

>> You might have destroyed the hard drive, in which case you could put a new drive in, and reinstall Windows. You could do this yourself.

>> You might have broken the connector to the hard drive, in which case, you might be able to find somebody who can repair it, but likely you're going to need a new laptop.

>> You might have broken something off the motherboard, buy a new laptop.

But which problem you're experiencing is impossible to say until you crack open the case and peek inside. And the problem could be multiple things. Or maybe you popped the CPU out of its slot. Its not designed to pop out of its slot upon impact, so the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Dropping a laptop is never a good idea. You've got maybe a 90% chance that its time for a new laptop. A good IT professional could help you with the other 10%.

Open the case and check that the hard drive is properly seated and the memory modules are properly seated.

Without a make and model of the laptop, its pretty hard to find which beep codes apply to your question.
JimDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Status: Senior Member
Posts: 1,848



Default wrong with my laptop and do i have to get it fixed

You have at least destroyed the hard drive totally. You have lost all your files. You would need to fit a new drive, then boot from the original Microsoft Windows operating disk it came with. Do the full install and then install all additional drivers. But it is highly likely to have also damaged other components, so expect to develop other trouble later.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTML question: I don't know what im doing wrong about my fixed image since it keeps moving? NewTech0 Html Code/ Html Codes 1 12-04-2013 03:05 AM
where can i get my laptop fixed? larz Computer Programming 1 01-01-2013 03:05 AM
Facebook error.Sorry, something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can. Anybody h? Unknown_User Coding 1 01-11-2012 03:06 PM
C++: What's wrong with this code (fixed) ahMike Coding 2 09-30-2011 03:36 PM
I barely got my laptop fixed & the guy that fixed it updated my program to window 7 but how do i use the wifi BydayPamwaype Programming 3 08-02-2011 01:06 PM